Wednesday 9 November 2011

Robot/Cake themed Xmas tree decorations

Well, if there's one thing I like as much as I like robots and cake, it's XTDs (Xmas tree decorations). So, I thought I would round up some of the nicest ones, with robot or cake themes, so you can stock up and make sure your tree is appropriately decorated for the festive season. Because nothing says Xmas like robots and cake.

To start with, Paperchase is my go-to shop for amazing Xmas ornaments, and I always try to get at least one thing there each year. This year, it looks like it's going to have to be these lovely glass robots (pictured), £12 for a box of three.

Paperchase also have some beautiful cake-based products - these glass cupcakes (£6 / set of 4) seem a bit weird and austere, but they also stock several crocheted cake-based items, one pictured below (and the obligatory Xmas pud), the nicest of which is this set of 8 cake slices (£14) which just looks adorable.

My next stop for ornaments is usually B&Q, since they've basically spotted that they can corner the market and last year had some lovely things including some nice blackboard baubles complete with chalk, which of course we wrote maths on. This year, their robot/cake selection isn't amazing - they do have two different kinds of Xmas pudding bauble (and these adorable little knitted boots) but the closest they have to robots is these metal three kings, which doesn't quite cut it.

Another favourite for high quality single ornaments is John Lewis - if you wander through their Xmas department, it's difficult not to get drawn in - and they do have some nice gingerbread man based ornaments. They also have this lovely metal Santa (£3.50), which in my mind is near to a robot.

Debenhams don't have any appropriately themed tree ornaments to speak of, but they do have this lovely porcelain robot (£15 when I saw it instore, but apparently more online).

Other than this, the only other place I can find in the high street with anything is Primark, which has a set of crackers with cupcakes on - but no decent ornaments.

My next thought would be to turn to the internet. People who aren't afraid of ordering things from America could try this amazing toy shop, Tin Toy Arcade, who appear to have an epic selection of robot shaped ornaments, all priced around £5 for individual ones and around £15 for sets of 4, although there may be some shipping costs. They're mixed in with some lovely rocket ships and atoms. I can only imagine what an epic Xmas tree that could make.

On Amazon, Kurt S Adler sells these magnificent R2D2 fairy lights ($30, also available in Yoda), as well as the traditional R2D2 nutcracker. It's also possible to find other one-offs, like this set of robot santa, reindeer and snowman, and this slightly odd robot bear.

Let me know if you find any nice pieces, and I'll add them to this post! And very possibly, my Xmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment